[Gt-eos] myproxy w/o globus

Basney, Jim jbasney at illinois.edu
Tue Nov 7 19:00:27 CET 2017

Sorry for my delayed reply. I was on vacation. Responses below.

On 10/30/17, 12:05 PM, Gt-eos on behalf of Mischa Salle wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 04:37:32PM +0000, Jim Basney wrote:
>> Venkat and I have been exploring what it would take to make a MyProxy
>> release without Globus dependencies. Our current work in progress is
>> at https://github.com/ncsa/myproxy. We welcome your input and help!
> that's good news!
> Is there specific things you need help with or input for?

Yes:
* input on whether this MyProxy fork is worthwhile to continue pursuing
* help with proxy cert functionality (which CILogon and XSEDE don't use, so we're less motivated to work on)

> [...]
> I would say that looking at current grid deployment, the proxy
> repository functionality with corresponding myproxy-init (and perhaps
> store) would probably be even more important than the CA functionality.
> It's probably also a lot more tricky. Are you planning to take over code
> from GT or VOMS or cANL for doing this?
> [...]

My preference would be to try to use the OpenSSL proxy cert APIs rather than maintain the duplicate proxy cert code from GT that was written before OpenSSL supported proxy certs.
Does VOMS or cANL use the OpenSSL proxy cert APIs or do they also have proxy cert code duplicating OpenSSL's proxy cert support? (Sorry I'm fuzzy on these details.)
In any case, we don't have immediate plans for continued work on this MyProxy fork. For now, I think it's a higher priority to get gct off the ground with minimal code changes.
For what it's worth, I believe in do-ocracy. If there's a volunteer to do some proxy cert work for this MyProxy fork, I'm happy for the volunteer to choose a technical path forward. I'm liberal when merging pull requests. :)

Regards,
Jim