[Gt-eos] Fwd: Re: gtk source repo location

Frank Scheiner scheiner at hlrs.de
Fri Oct 20 07:46:35 CEST 2017

Hi Mat, all,

On 10/19/2017 08:04 PM, Mátyás Selmeci wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> While this is an important question, we shouldn't take too long in
> making a decision since we can't get any work started until we've made a
> repo.

I assume OSG won't halt their previous and current work on the Globus
Toolkit until we all made a decision.

> I created a Google Form at https://goo.gl/forms/j1RcaoPZUlHt8wnx1 for
> voting on an organization name and a repo name, incorporating the
> suggestions I've seen in this email thread. You can add your own
> GitHub search to check for name availability (look at the "Users" tab of
> the search results).

On the risk of further delaying this decision, I have a few concerns
about the form of the poll:

1. One has to decide for one alternative but cannot select multiple
ones. This leaves out consensus on options that are not each one's
favorites but close to.

2. But it also looks like one can give a vote as many times as one
likes. Which also means that in the extreme I could tilt the result to a
name like "Tronc" ([1] ;-)) by just performing as many votes as needed.
This cannot be easily detected without further information provided.

[1]: https://youtu.be/bq2_wSsDwkQ?t=9m38s

3. One does not have to leave a name or affiliation, so in the end
nobody can determine who has voted, who has voted multiple times or who
has not voted at all. I mean this is not a vote for a government where a
ballot is needed to avoid possible sanctions. Giving name and
affiliation would allow for a greater assurance and confidence in the
results.

4. Is it one vote per person on the list or one vote per
institution/project/etc.? This is more of a regulation we should decide on.

As I never used Google Forms before, I wasn't sure about how it works,
e.g. will I as voter see the result, can I re-vote if I made an error,
will I have to enter my name, etc.. So I started with a test vote ("test
(don't count)") and sure I could do another vote. But I never had to
enter my name or affiliation. Hence I consider the form/poll in its
current form not that suitable for our purpose. :-/

@Mat:
Is it possible to redesign the poll to:

* allow multiple selections (for 1.)

* be able to leave name and affiliation with a vote and possibly a
comment, or everything in a comment (for 3.)

For 2. I think the multiple votes can be kept, if name and affiliation
is provided. This way people can re-decide until the end of the poll.
Evaluation gets a little harder though, as only the last vote for a name
and affiliation can be counted.

@all:
Could we decide on 4.? I'd go for one vote per institution, as this
won't penalize single institutions that want to join our cause, but
that's just my opinion. :-)

Cheers,
Frank

--
Frank Scheiner

High Performance Computing Center Stuttgart (HLRS)
Department Project User Management & Accounting

Email: scheiner at hlrs.de
Phone: +49 711 685 68039