[Gt-eos] TLS 1.3

Mischa Salle msalle at nikhef.nl
Fri May 25 12:56:50 CEST 2018

Hi Frank, others,

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 07:02:06PM +0200, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> Hi Mischa, Mattias, others,
>
> On 05/24/2018 02:56 PM, Mischa Salle wrote:
> > Most is summarized in a wiki https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/TLS1.3
> > They also say there that 1.1.1 is not being released before TLS1.3 is
> > actually released (currently still in draft:
> > https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-tls13-28)
>
> That's an important information, so currently not even the TLSv1.3 draft is
> finished, hence the current implementation in OpenSSL 1.1.1 "pre-releases"
> is also not final.
True. In any case, it's I think in Debian experimental such that we can
figure out all these issues (-;

> For now could it not also be possible to link to OpenSSL 1.1.1 and still
> limit usage of TLS to TLSv1.2?
I guess (although I couldn't yet figure out with a quick look how) that
it is possible to compile code against OpenSSL such that it will default
to TLSv1.2 (or something else) and never try TLSv1.3. On the other hand,
it would be nice if we could make the globus-gsi code TLSv1.3 compliant.

> Because the wiki article says below "Ciphersuites":
> ``
> [...]
> OpenSSL has implemented support for five TLSv1.3 ciphersuites as follows:
>
>     TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
>     TLS_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256
>     TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
> [...]
> By default the first three of the above ciphersuites are enabled by default.
> This means that if you have no explicit ciphersuite configuration then you
> will automatically use those three and will be able to negotiate TLSv1.3.
> [...]
> ```
> ...so it looks to me like it defaults to TLSv1.3, but maybe this can be
> changed by a switch or an option.
I guess also that this can be changed at compile (or run) time...

    Cheers,
    Mischa