[Gt-eos] GSI-OpenSSH Packages for Ubuntu

Mischa Salle msalle at nikhef.nl
Sun May 19 13:01:51 CEST 2019

Hi Frank,

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 03:16:12PM +0200, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> also explicitly adding Mattias to the addressees.
>
> On 4/29/19 11:16, Mischa Salle via Gt-eos wrote:
> > Hi Adam,
> >
> > our apologies for not getting back to you (not sure about the others,
> > but I was offline last week).
> >
> > In the past we have tried to get gsi-openssh in Debian, but we never got
> > it there, see e.g. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=687517
>
> I'm not specifically familiar with the Debian processes for new packages -
> ITP ([1]) and RFP ([2]) in this case - but what is included in the above
> mentioned pseudo-bug doesn't sound to me like a complete nor official
> refusal.
>
> [1]: https://wiki.debian.org/ITP
>
> [2]: https://wiki.debian.org/RFP
>
> Apart from that I wonder if this process should not be restarted - maybe
> this time with another approach, if the following makes sense:
>
> Would it be possible to include the GSI-OpenSSH patches into the "official"
> OpenSSH source package ([3]) and produce a second set of server and client
> packages in addition to the existing OpenSSH server and client packages
> which link to the GSI libraries. This way the amount of duplication would be
> reduced and limited to the binary packages only.
I think this is probably not a good idea, the 'official' openssh is used
by vastly more people and these patches are still rather specific to a
subgroup.

> [3]: https://salsa.debian.org/ssh-team/openssh
>
> And if Debian can afford to have three implementations of SSH clients
> (openssh-client ([4]), lsh-client ([5]), putty-tools ([6])) with assumed
> identical functionality, a fourth implementation with the added
> functionality of X.509-like authentication shouldn't hurt too much. It more
> hurts the users that they can't use GSI-OpenSSH on Debian/Ubuntu.
>
> UPDATE: There's also another SSH implementation available in Debian, the one
> from Dropbear, though I assume this does not provide all the features of the
> other mentioned implementations.
I think that's a fair argument. Why not add another one that actually
adds something? Aparently, having 3 or 4 is not a problem...

> [4]: https://packages.debian.org/sid/openssh-client
>
> [5]: https://packages.debian.org/sid/lsh-client
>
> [6]: https://packages.debian.org/sid/putty-tools
>
> Apart from all that, why not providing pre-compiled GSI-OpenSSH packages for
> Debian/Ubuntu ourselves in the meantime? Even more so when we already have
> the packaging meta data ready.
This indeed seems to be the first thing to do.
And if travis-ci can't do it, then the open buildservice could do it.

    Cheers,
    Mischa

--
Nikhef                      Room  H155
Science Park 105            Tel.  +31-20-592 5102
The Netherlands             Email msalle at nikhef.nl