[Gt-eos] GSI-OpenSSH Packages for Ubuntu

Mischa Salle msalle at nikhef.nl
Tue May 21 19:32:37 CEST 2019

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 04:07:00PM +0200, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> Hi Mischa, Adam,

> > I think this is probably not a good idea, the 'official' openssh is used
> > by vastly more people and these patches are still rather specific to a
> > subgroup.
>
> Granted, but isn't that - add GSI to the standard OpenSSH package - in
> general what was proposed by Christoph Anton Mitterer in the Debian bug
> #687517 ([1])?
> [1]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=687517
> > > [3]: https://salsa.debian.org/ssh-team/openssh
Probably yes, but I personally don't think that has much chance...

> > > UPDATE: There's also another SSH implementation available in Debian, the one
> > > from Dropbear, though I assume this does not provide all the features of the
> > > other mentioned implementations.
> > I think that's a fair argument. Why not add another one that actually
> > adds something? Aparently, having 3 or 4 is not a problem...
>
> Yeah, we maybe should first put that argument forward.
I think it has more chance, but ...

> > > Apart from all that, why not providing pre-compiled GSI-OpenSSH packages for
> > > Debian/Ubuntu ourselves in the meantime? Even more so when we already have
> > > the packaging meta data ready.
> > This indeed seems to be the first thing to do.
> > And if travis-ci can't do it, then the open buildservice could do it.
>
> @Adam:
> Is that (GSI-OpenSSH packages for Debian/Ubuntu) something you would like to
> setup?
>
> @all:
> The question is, how much effort it takes to adapt the patches for
> Fedora/EPEL to apply to Debian/Ubuntu.
... this is probably by far the easiest for the time being.
But wasn't the whole point that there is (be it not fully functional
apparently) debian packaging in
https://github.com/gridcf/gct/tree/master/packaging/debian/gsi-openssh/debian

?

    Cheers,
    Mischa

--
Nikhef                      Room  H155
Science Park 105            Tel.  +31-20-592 5102
The Netherlands             Email msalle at nikhef.nl