[Discuss] edg-gridftp-client

Frank Scheiner scheiner at hlrs.de
Mon Jun 24 12:47:09 CEST 2024

Hi all,

On 24.06.24 03:47, Mischa Sallé via discuss wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On 22 June 2024 17:39:28 GMT+03:00, Maarten Litmaath via discuss <discuss at gridcf.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> as Steve would be happy to keep it going for a while longer,
>> we could look into making it part of the GCF, like uberftp...
>
> I think that makes perfect sense

I had a quick look into the sources and functionality ([1]) and this is
a combination of a C tool for each functionality and common
functionality and Perl wrappers around it.

[1]: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/edg-gridftp-client

Not knowing about this toolset I did create something similar with
similar functionality some years ago and wrapped UberFTP with Bash
scripts instead. It's called gtools and is a multicall script with all
functionality included in a Bash "library" and the main script with
symlinks to the specific functions (like `gcat`, `grm`, `gmv`, etc.).
See [2] and [3] for details.

[2]: https://github.com/fr4nk5ch31n3r/gtransfer/blob/master/bin/gtools.bash

[3]:
https://github.com/fr4nk5ch31n3r/gtransfer/blob/master/lib/gtransfer/gridftp.bashlib

I included it in the gtransfer repo, but it will actually work w/o
gtransfer present. Apart from functionality similar - maybe not in all
details - to the edg-gridftp-client it can use some additional features
useful on the command line:

* host aliases ([4]) to shorten lengthy gsiftp:// URLs (incl. Bash
completion of aliases) - in short you can replace any
"gsiftp://host.domain.tld:<PORT>" part with something like "alias:"

* browsing remote paths directly on the command line (via Bash completion)

[4]:
https://github.com/fr4nk5ch31n3r/gtransfer/blob/master/share/doc/host-aliases.md

It should be maybe checked if functionality is equal everywhere, but if
it is, matching symlinks with EDG names could be created to match the
EDG client's commands. If we decide for a replacement, it will only
require the maintenance of some Bash scripts, as we already maintain
UberFTP, compared to C and Perl code. Judging by the amount of work I
put into this since its creation, I'd say the maintenance effort is near
zero.

But I assume the edg-gridftp-client code doesn't need much maintenance
either.

Personally I don't have a preference. Actually I'm usually in favor to
keep useful things around. And the C code of the edg-gridftp-client
being a useful example to show what can be done with the GCT, already
qualifies for that in my eyes. Even if we just include it under the
umbrella of the GridCF and make it a public archive later to keep it at
a known place would be useful in my eyes.

Cheers,
Frank

--
Frank Scheiner

High Performance Computing Center Stuttgart (HLRS)
Department Project User Management & Accounting

Email: scheiner at hlrs.de
Phone: +49 711 685 68039