[Gt-eos] Launching the GridCF

Frank Scheiner scheiner at hlrs.de
Tue Nov 7 15:52:01 CET 2017

Hi Oliver,

On 11/07/2017 01:44 PM, Oliver Keeble wrote:
> [...]
>> So if we manage to push out a release - even with only minimal
>> changes/fixes/updates, maybe just a little polished - before this
>> deadline, we would give a bold and assuring statement, that the gridcf
>> is taking over (development and) support and users can continue to
>> rely on the former known Globus Toolkit - now in the form of gct - as
>> technology for their needs.
>>
>> I think the earlier we make a sound, the more people can be dragged to
>> our cause and the more people can be reassured in keeping the gct as
>> technology.
>
> This is an interesting comment, as I think it reveals a rather different
> perspective from the one we have here at CERN at least. Our intention is
> not to encourage people to use gct at all - instead, we want to keep it
> working for as long as it takes our community to find alternatives.

Aha :-), I think I sensed this on the way but wasn't sure if this is
still on the table after so many infrastructures have shown their
interest in our cause.

Why would your community need to find alternatives to gct if "it does
the job"?

Or in general what's wrong with the Globus Toolkit currently that anyone
should move away from it - if there's a community behind its successor
that will support and maybe further develop it?

Where would these alternatives come from and what if the people behind
it loose the interest in it in the future? Would you not have the same
problem at hand then?

I think we have come to a most interesting point, where we as a
community could take the development and support of a core technology
used in our infrastructures in our own hands. If this works out, in my
eyes this would make sure that we will never run into a similar problem
again in the future - unless all of us loose the interest in a core
technology of our infrastructures, which is not very likely I believe. :-)

Cheers,
Frank

--
Frank Scheiner

High Performance Computing Center Stuttgart (HLRS)
Department Project User Management & Accounting

Email: scheiner at hlrs.de
Phone: +49 711 685 68039