[Gt-eos] GT Documentation and mailing lists

Oliver Keeble oliver.keeble at cern.ch
Wed Nov 22 14:01:27 CET 2017

Hi Frank,

What's the status of

https://github.com/globus/globus-toolkit-documentation

It looks complete, but hasn't been touched in a year. Not sure how easy
it will be to generate a usable site from it.

Oliver.

On 22/11/17 12:32, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> we haven't yet talked about the Globus Toolkit (1) documentation and (2)
> mailing list archives.
>
> ## (1) Documentation ##
>
> I assume the relevant information for our version will be [1].
>
> [1]: http://toolkit.globus.org/toolkit/docs/6.0/
>
> Should we also preserve documentation for older GT versions?
>
> I think there is no issue for documentation parts that can be generated
> from the source code, like for example manpages.
>
> I couldn't find any license information regarding the remaining
> documentation. So what do others think, can we make use of this
> documentation as is, i.e. can we host it under our gridcf umbrella?
> Maybe someone close with Globus people could ask them if and how we can
> reuse it.
>
> If we can have it as is, the question is, where to host this
> information? I could think of (a) a subdirectory on the gridcf web site
> or (b) the wiki of the gct repo. (a) might be better suited to mimic the
> original structure and can also be better tailored to our needs I assume.
>
> ## (2) Mailing lists ##
>
> There are/were multiple available. I know at least of the following ones:

> Especially the gt-user and gridftp-user list archives could still be
> helpful. And the gt-dev archives might also contain helpful information.
>
> I assume that these will be gone sometime in the future. So should we
> not try to preserve their content?
>
> Here the question is, if the archives of these lists can be preserved by
> us? I'm unsure if there are any legal issues, as the mailing list users
> only have a opted in for those Globus lists and might not welcome it if
> other parties archive their posts. And we also need the consent of
> Globus I believe.
>
> Last, should we also create mailing lists of our own for gct in addition
> to issue tracking via GitHub? It's certainly "easier" and I assume also
> more straightforward for a user to enlist or write to a mailing list
> than to create a GitHub account.
>
> ****
>
> We could also first just ask for how long Globus will keep up both the
> documentation site and mailing list archives to get a better picture of
> how urgent this is.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers,
> Frank

Oliver Keeble                      Information Technology Department
oliver.keeble at cern.ch                                           CERN
+41 75 411 5965                                    CH-1211 Geneva 23