[Gt-eos] gtk source repo location

Oliver Keeble oliver.keeble at cern.ch
Fri Oct 20 15:27:37 CEST 2017

Hi all,

On 20/10/17 14:49, Baptiste Grenier wrote:
> Le 20/10/17 à 13:57, Mischa Salle téléscripta :
>> Hi Baptiste, others,
>
> Hi,
>
>> I think that whatever acronym we use, there probably is already a
>> library with that name around. It's mostly important to prevent clashes
>> with similar tools I think. I was wondering whether the term gsi is
>> perhaps a good option instead of globus? So gsi-toolkit? It's known, not
>> copyrighted or trademarked as far as I know, and I think most of our use
>> of the globus-toolkit that we need has somewhere todo with GSI.
>
> I personally think that gsi and gsi-toolkit are nice names as gsi will
> indeed mean something for a lot of people. There is already a GSI
> organisation so for the organisation name part we need something else.
>
> To see it "visually":
>
> - globalgc/gsi-toolkit
> - grid-community-forum/gsi-toolkit
> - gridcf/gsi-toolkit
> - gridcommunity/gsi-toolkit
> - gridsc/gsi-toolkit
> - gridsf/gsi-toolkit
> - gsitoolkit/gsi-toolkit or gsi-toolkit/gsi-toolkit (too restricted?)
> - opengt/gsi-toolkit
>
> Not possible:
> - gridtools/gsi-toolkit (in fact GridTools already exists)
> - opengsi/gsi-toolkit could have been nice but opengsi is already taken
>
> Organisation name + project name might also be important/interesting for
> SEO/ease of discovery.
> Should it contain grid or not?

GSI is just one part of the Globus toolkit, so wouldn't this be misleading?

>> There is by the way another important issue with not being able to use
>> the word globus: it's in almost every library name in the toolkit. So if
>> we want to/must remove it from there too, we need a rebuild of each
>> globus-depending software product... It also could mean having all the
>> products needing re-adoption into Fedora/EPEL and Debian.
>
> Is it something that can be avoided?

I think it can certainly be avoided. Globus may trademark the name (have
they?) but this just stops anyone else using it as a name, it doesn't
stop people using the word.

Oliver.

> As the "upstream" will change one could find appropriate to have
> different names/packages.
> At a package level usage of some provide/conflict instructions in the
> spec/debian control files could help a bit to ease the transition.
> In theory having to rebuild all the products depending on the toolkit
> could be acceptable as it is quite a big/important change, but yes it
> would require more work from the product teams and it would take some
> time to get everything updated. It would also somewhat force them to
> acknowledge/validate the change.
>
> Once the building scripts/files/infra will be working it shouldn't be
> that hard to get the packages accepted in debian and EPEL. We could also
> find a temporary solution to publish dedicated repositories (and/or to
> provide early access to the packages).
>
>> Best wishes,
>> Mischa
>
> Best regards,
> Baptiste
>

>> On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 01:10:49PM +0200, Baptiste Grenier wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>
>>> I answered the poll, and added some custom propositions, if possible
>>> I find
>>> appreciable to not have an acronym that would perhaps look cryptic:
>>> - for the organisation: gridtools or gridcommunity (we could try to
>>> add  a
>>> dash in the name as it makes it look nicer, but it might cause  problems
>>> with some github-related tools that are a bit buggy)
>>> - for the project: open-grid-toolkit or maybe opengt if we want to
>>> hide  the
>>> grid word as pointed out by Mischa.
>
>>> The fact is that grid is also present in most of the propositions for
>>> the
>>> organisation name...
>
>>> Best,
>>> Baptiste
>
>>> --
>>> Baptiste Grenier
>>> EGI Foundation - Operations Officer
>>> Phone:              +31 627 860 852
>>> Skype:         baptiste.grenier.egi

Oliver Keeble                      Information Technology Department
oliver.keeble at cern.ch                                           CERN
+41 75 411 5965                                    CH-1211 Geneva 23