[Gt-eos] Launching the GridCF

Mischa Salle msalle at nikhef.nl
Mon Oct 30 17:04:10 CET 2017

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 03:57:24PM +0000, Navarro, JP wrote:

> > On Oct 30, 2017, at 9:07 AM, Mischa Salle <msalle at nikhef.nl <mailto:msalle at nikhef.nl>> wrote:
> >
> >> - Put together a timeline for a first release of the GCT.  Given we're
> >>  working against a January 2018 deadline, I would aim to have the
> >>  first code release be prior to that and essentially consist of the
> >>  current fork point from the Globus Toolkit.
> > Wouldn't it be better to make the first release just after the last
> > globus-toolkit release?
>
> Note that the Globus team will in principle released security updates
> throughout 2018, so we need to decide whether during 2018 we want to
> maintain a fork and cross port Globus’s patches or wait till the
> Globus team stop releasing security updates before forking.

Hi,

my preference would be to keep in sync for as long as possible and at
least include upstream patches (i.e. be only commits ahead of gt). I
think it's good to have already our own fork, to be able to fix
non-security bugs.

Related to this, I noticed that the current fork is not an obvious clone
from upstream in github. Was there a reason for that? As a result, there
are also only two branches of the many from upstream. That's probably
ok, but it does lose some history (some files no longer exist in the
current branches).

    Mischa

--
Nikhef                      Room  H155
Science Park 105            Tel.  +31-20-592 5102
The Netherlands             Email msalle at nikhef.nl