[Discuss] [Gt-eos] GSI-OpenSSH Packages for Ubuntu

Frank Scheiner scheiner at hlrs.de
Wed Jul 3 15:17:49 CEST 2019

Hi Mischa,

On 7/2/19 13:23, Mischa Salle wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 06:06:33PM -0700, Adam Mercer wrote:
>> On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 10:32 AM Mischa Salle <msalle at nikhef.nl> wrote:
>> The only changes I needed to make was to not apply the patches in the
>> Debian packaging as the patches were already applied as part of the
>> tarball creation process.
>
> Indeed, running e.g. autoreconf -if runs also the prep-gsissh which
> applies the patches.
> @mattias: do you have an idea about this? What is the status of the
> debian packaging for gsi-openssh? I think it would be good if we could
> at least ourselves provide (binary) debs.

Would be nice to have, but I'm not sure about how much additional work
that is. Mattias would have to maintain an additional patch (set) for
each actively maintained Debian version (i.e. at least Sid, stable and
oldstable), as the patch (set) for Fedora is much smaller than the
regular one as they already integrate part of its functionality in their
regular OpenSSH - IIRC.

> @frank: in our announcement
> https://github.com/gridcf/gct/releases/tag/v6.2.20190226 we state that
> we have precompiled packages for Debian unstable, that's not true for
> gsi-openssh.

You're correct, I seem to ignore this fact sometimes. This also applies
to the packages for SUSE.

> In any case the wording "pre-compiled packages" is probably a bit
> misleading.

I always thought that this term would be common...

> I'd probably just say "packages", since the src RPMs and
> debians are also available in those places.

...and also imply (or "include") source packages.

Can we agree on "OS packages" to set them apart from the IMHO too
generic term "packages". I mean tarballs can also be considered packages
in a way.

Cheers,
Frank

--
Frank Scheiner

High Performance Computing Center Stuttgart (HLRS)
Department Project User Management & Accounting

Email: scheiner at hlrs.de
Phone: +49 711 685 68039