[Discuss] GSISSH Maintainer?

Chris Rapier rapier at psc.edu
Mon May 13 22:56:29 CEST 2024

Frank,

On 5/12/24 12:26 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On 09.05.24 22:47, Chris Rapier via discuss wrote:
>> I was hoping to contact the GSISSH maintainer.
>
> For GSISSH in Fedora and EPEL ([1]) that's actually Mattias (now in CC).
> For the in-tree variant ([2]) I rebuild the Fedora versions since a
> while to allow builds from the GCT sources directly.
>
> [1]: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/gsi-openssh/
>
> [2]: https://github.com/gridcf/gct/tree/master/gsi_openssh
>
>> I am the developer of HPN-SSH which is part of GSISSH and I'd like to
>> ask the maintainer a couple of questions. Specifically, I was
>> contacted by a government user and they seem to be having some
>> performance issues. This issue might be because of the version of
>> HPN-SSH that's been incorporated. So I wanted to ask what version is
>> being used and to see if I can do anything to help incorporate the
>> latest version.
>
> In the current in-tree version we are using HPN 15.2 (see [3]), same in
> Fedora/EPEL ([4]), at the moment starting with GSI-OpenSSH 8.7p1
> (epel9). Older versions (epel7 (HPN 14.13), epel8 (HPN 14.19)) still use
> the matching HPN version for the respective GSI-OpenSSH version that is
> based on the OpenSSH version of the respective RHEL derivative.

Okay, I'll need to check a few things. Since OpenSSH made those changes
in 8.9 to the sshbuf subsystem and channel handling things have been
less stable. I've seen some failing interactions between different
versions and I'm wondering if they are coming across that. That said, if
you are trying to apply the 8.7 patches to later versions of OpenSSH you
may be running into some issues that come up with high RTTs.

They (being NOAA) are saying that they are seeing issues where the
throughput will quickly drop to an unacceptable level. I'll grab of copy
of gssissh and see if I can recreate their problems.

As as aside, we do have an up to date branch in the repo that *only*
implements the dynamic window tuning. That's in the DynamicWindow branch
and has been kept current with every release.