[Gt-eos] GT Documentation and mailing lists

Mischa Salle msalle at nikhef.nl
Thu Dec 7 16:56:35 CET 2017

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 11:58:26AM +0100, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> Should we call for a vote about the adoption of the GT documentation or can
> we consider this part of the original Globus Toolkit and hence agreement to
> adoption is implicit?
I don't think anyone would disagree, so a vote seems not necessary.

> ## Fork ##
>
> Anyway I suggest to fork the same way as it was done for the Globus Toolkit,
> because then the search functionality on GitHub will also work in our forked
> code base. Comes in handy sometimes.
We could make it a 'simple' fork directly from github (which will show
up as 'forked from' and provides info on 'X commits behind / ahead). Or
do it from a cmdline, and set the other as upstream, without github
knowing about that. For gct we did the latter I think (as in
https://help.github.com/articles/duplicating-a-repository/)

> ## Old/unneeded information ##
>
> There might be some or even a lot of information in the
> globus-toolkit-documentation that could be unneeded for our means, hence we
> could start a new branch in our fork and just import the needed information
> there. After everything is in shape, we could change the default branch for
> this repo to the new branch.
I would probably do that: fork and make a new branch to work on.

> ## Resulting documentation ##
>
> For the "finalized" documentation I'm yet undecided:
>
> * GitBook
> * ReadTheDocs
> * GitHub pages
>
> The first two have the advantage to include search functionality, but there
> also seem to be "solutions" available that - with some manual work - provide
> search functionality within GitHub pages, too, e.g. [Jekyll Tipue Search].
I think github + readthedocs is a relatively straightforward way. For
Argus some people have also done that, see
https://github.com/argus-authz/argus-documentation/tree/master/source
and
http://argus-documentation.readthedocs.io/en/stable/
it seems relatively straightforward. I have no strong preference as long
as it is relatively mainstream, to make it easier for people to work
with it and to have some trust in sustainability.
I personally don't know whether you could do things as a organization, I
think you can, I could ask around...

Cheers,
Mischa