[Gt-eos] gtk source repo location

Frank Scheiner scheiner at hlrs.de
Tue Oct 24 15:08:20 CEST 2017

On 10/23/2017 11:00 AM, Mattias Ellert wrote:
> fre 2017-10-20 klockan 13:57 +0200 skrev Mischa Salle:
>> Hi Baptiste, others,
>>
>> I think that whatever acronym we use, there probably is already a
>> library with that name around. It's mostly important to prevent clashes
>> with similar tools I think. I was wondering whether the term gsi is
>> perhaps a good option instead of globus? So gsi-toolkit? It's known, not
>> copyrighted or trademarked as far as I know, and I think most of our use
>> of the globus-toolkit that we need has somewhere todo with GSI.
>>
>> There is by the way another important issue with not being able to use
>> the word globus: it's in almost every library name in the toolkit. So if
>> we want to/must remove it from there too, we need a rebuild of each
>> globus-depending software product... It also could mean having all the
>> products needing re-adoption into Fedora/EPEL and Debian.
>>
>>      Best wishes,
>>      Mischa
>
> Please do not consider changing library or package names.
>
> Changing the library names would mean that every piece of software
> using the the libraries must be rebuilt. Coordinating this would be a
> major pain.
>
> Changing package names would mean having new package reviews in the
> distributions which would be a lot of unnecessary work. The toolkit is
> not one package it is 58, and even if we decide to drop some pieces
> having that number of packages re-reviewed to change the package names
> would be a lot of unnecessary work.

I fully agree. If we can continue without changing these - and I think
this is possible without breaking any copyright or trademark laws - we
shouldn't touch them.

@Mattias:
If we change the repo name from "globus-toolkit" to e.g. "gct" (plus
different prefix URL for source packages), would this mean additional
changes to e.g. updating the URLs for source packages in the RPM spec
and maybe Debian dsc files? I don't know exactly how this is done for
DEB packages.

Cheers,
Frank

--
Frank Scheiner

High Performance Computing Center Stuttgart (HLRS)
Department Project User Management & Accounting

Email: scheiner at hlrs.de
Phone: +49 711 685 68039